Thursday, January 30, 2014

BIG BAD WOLVES (2014) Review


Big Bad Wolves- 3.5/5 Stars

       As a person who watches a lot of horror movies, sometimes I lose track of what the actual meaning of horror really is. Horror- "Intense fear: A very strong feeling of fear, shock, or disgust." Sometimes horror in films can actually be fun, oddly enough. Most of the time when we have fun in horror films, it is because we are watching unrealistic portrayals of crazy mutant killers or monsters that suck the brains out of characters we could never relate to.
                       
       Every once in a while, we get a "horror" film that genuinely fits the true definition. Big Bad Wolves, an Israeli film directed by Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado is a truly horrifying film. The basic plot of the film is that in a small community, young girls are going missing and are later being found raped and murdered. One murder in particular leads three men on paths that will inevitably come to an explosive cross; A vigilante cop who will go to any length to find the killer, the father of the most recently found victim, and a schoolteacher that is the prime suspect of the murders.
                       
        I have to say, after watching this, I have a lot of mixed feelings as to how I felt about it. It's really hard to "enjoy" a film that has some very serious topics such as pedophilia, murder, and torture. I've seen films with these type of topics, but none that have taken this angle at them. At points I felt as though the directors were trying to mix in some very very dark comedy with some extremely serious scenes. I'm not sure if they were just trying to make the audience feel a little better about what they were watching, but it really came off as feeling more inappropriate than anything. Now, right along with some of my negative views of the film, there are definitely some great aspects; The cinematography is absolutely stunning, the music is surprisingly perfect, the story, although dark, is very well written, and the acting is scarily good.
                       
       It's going to be really hard for me to recommend this to many people I know, based solely on the topic at hand, but I do believe it is a good film. If you can handle the topics I have mentioned and don't mind subtitles, then I would say give it a shot, I'd love to hear what you think. Now available On Demand, Big Bad Wolves gets 3.5/5 Stars in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment