Friday, January 10, 2014

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES (2013) Review

THE MARKED ONES- 2/5 STARS

                     
                         This morning I woke up a little later than usual. That usually happens when we get a dark and dreary day outside. I opened the blinds and there it was, one of the darkest, cloudiest days in over a month. Naturally, being the horror fan I am, the first thought that came to mind was "hmm, perfect day to see a good horror flick." Out of bed I jumped with my new found excitement for the day. "What shall I see today?"...god dammit... the ONLY horror film in theatres is "The Marked Ones."
                         Now I am not one to judge a film based on the recent reviews I've read, or even by the bad trailers I've seen, but I am one to pre-judge a film based on it predecessors. Lets be honest people, the last Paranormal Activity was horrible. Sure this one isn't technically a sequel, sure this one has changed from a suburban White family with kids, to a predominately Latino cast set in a middle-class neighborhood (at best), and sure we are given a pretty awesome poster. All that is great but can we really expect a whole new, more fresh film? Kinda.
                         "The Marked Ones" plays out a whole lot like all the other Paranormal Activities in the beginning. We are given a story that gives reason for our characters to be carrying around a camera, a few spooky characters, and random spooky happenings. Just like all the other films, things progressively start getting worse and worse. This is where we as an audience are led down a different path..kinda. 
                         Let me go ahead and tell you, even though I don't get spooked easily, I was in a big theatre all by myself, which should help in the venture to be scared right? Wrong. One of the most surprising things I found with "TMO" was the lack of scares. We are given a few small jump scares but nothing really terrifying except for a few scenes at the very end.
                         If you are looking for constant scares, a deep plot, and a nightmare inducing flick, I would recommend you look elsewhere. If you are looking to kill a short 84 minutes with a few scares and a decent pay-off, go check this out. "The Marked Ones" gets 2/5 Stars in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment