Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How a Night of Horror Changed My Life

               I remember back when I was eight years old. My movies of choice were PG comedies and animated classics. I had heard of horror movies but never thought twice about it, given the fact that I knew I'd never get to watch one at that age. A few years passed by and I had seen some "scary" movies but nothing that would be nightmare inducing. That all changed the night I talked my dad into letting me stay up until midnight to watch Friday the 13th Part 2.
               I had no idea what I was getting into but I KNEW I had to see it. The darkness of the night rolled around and by 11 I was getting real tired, for I was never allowed to stay up so late for anything, much less to watch a horror flick. I'm pretty sure my dad agreed to let me stay up so late knowing that I would never make it to midnight, but I was determined. Midnight had finally arrived, I was finally going to watch this mysterious movie that everyone had been talking about. By that time, everyone had gone to bed. There I was, a bright eyed, bushy tailed kid about to watch a movie that would change my entire life.
              The movie came to an end. I had made it through the whole thing and I loved it. I loved it so much but I was scared to death. I'm talkin' so scared that I wanted every light on in the entire house, and there was no way I was sleeping that night. After an entire evening of worrying about a man with a bag on his head stepping out of my closet, therefore ending my unaccomplished, unfulfilled life early, I wanted more.
               Ever since that terrifying night, I have been obsessed with everything horror. The idea of being frightened by fictional characters dead set on destroying everything and everyone in their path still excites me every day. Who knows where I would be without that night. One thing I know for sure is that I wouldn't be here right now writing this. Thank you horror, and may you continue to change lives by scaring the shit out of kids who take that brave plunge into your universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment